Ok, so there are two fundamental ideas here:

1) Keep the qt use flag, use it if a package offers qt3 or qt4 support.
If both, then make it for the more recent version and add a local flag for
qt3 support.

A few of us like this one, including me.  The downside to this is you get
a USE that may look like "qt -qt3" which is a bit ugly.  Upside is that it
"just works".

2) Remove qt use flag, and create qt3 and qt4 global flags.

This is what a few others are behind.  It's more descriptive of what's
actually going on, but will disrupt ~30 packages that currently use the
"qt" flag.

I suppose I'm not really big on one versus the other.  I was for #1 simply
because it required the least amount of effort to implement, however the
people who are in favor of #2 have volunteered to do the work to implement
it as well as put qt3 into the use.defaults for 2006.1 so KDE will work
"out of the box".  I'm not inclined to go against them simply because I
don't see a big downside to going to qt3/qt4 global flags as long as
someone is willing to do the work.

So, as long as nobody comes up with a major objection, consider this my
recommendation to allow portage to move to the #2 scenario.  The "it just
works now" excuse isn't valid, either.  And, if it turns out the change
really sucks..well...we can always figure out something else. :)

Comments and flames are most welcome.