On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 15:14 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
> Probably too off the wall and simpleton for the "problem" - but what if
> the install docs included something like:
>
> "
> To obtain the sources for your new install, please use:
>
> emerge -fDN world
>
> to download all of the sources used to build your stage3  install.
> "
>
> (the presumption being after the unrolling of stage3, they would have to
> get the sources anyway to proceed forward, so this would fill the
> initial gap...or am I missing something more critical?)

Well, it would need to be -efDN, but that doesn't take into account what
happens when someone uses a tarball from 2 releases ago that is still on
our mirrors, but the packages haven't been in the tree (and therefore
not on our mirrors) for months.  For the most part, it would work,
provided upstream kept copies of their older sources, but there would
still be source lost, like patches in ${FILESDIR}.  This only works so
long as we have everything either in the tree or on our infrastructure.

A burned DVD, however, will always have the old stuff there, no matter
what happens in the tree.

It really is the simplest method for us.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead