On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 04:00:09PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 07:46:16 +0200
> Harald van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > you're just griping because i forced ssp/pie regardless of
> > > USE=vanilla ...
> >
> > I didn't mind that you applied ssp/pie patches regardless of
> > USE=vanilla, I did mind that you applied the stub patches with
> > USE="nossp vanilla", and I also didn't like that this was either done
> > accidentally but ignored when pointed out, or that this was done
> > deliberately with a misleading cvs log message.
>
> If you take out the stub patches (which incidentally have no impact on
> code generation), many builds will simply fail because they expect the
> additional flags from ssp, htb etc to be there.

That's the point. I mentioned being able to test whether your own
software compiles with a pure GNU toolchain as a desire. Being able to
see whether unofficial compiler options are used is not just a nice
extra, but even necessary for that.

> Since they have no impact on code generation, their presence doesn't
> impact comparisons with a pure upstream release.
>
> > > since gcc-4.0 and below are on the way out, i have no problem
> > > changing this behavior
> > >
> > > besides, since both of these technologies are in mainline gcc now,
> > > i really dont see how you can continue to gripe with gcc-4.1.1+
> >
> > I don't know how much gcc-spec-env.patch can be trusted, and even if
> > it is 100% safe, such patches don't belong in anything that would be
> > called "vanilla". (I have commented on that patch long before this
> > thread started, so don't think I'm just looking for something to
> > complain about now.)
>
> Again, if you don't gave GCC_SPECS defined in your environment then
> that patch makes no difference to code generation.

Yes, but if GCC_SPECS is defined in the environment, I don't know enough
about it to be sure that it interacts properly with -specs command-line
options. Even if it works perfectly, though, the point remains that it
does not belong in a USE=vanilla build.