(Not commenting on the whole message, just parts.)

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 03:46:24PM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> You can however fix the tree to make sure it will fully build without
> those flags, and then talk to Mike again about removing them.  I am sure
> he might be more willing if it will not steal his time again.

I ask again: would such patches be accepted? (Mike stated he would
remove stubs once GCC 4.1 is stable -- thanks -- so users wouldn't run
into problems often regardless.)

> Vanilla, Gentoo patched - they all have bugs which bugzilla have more
> than enough of in.

Ah yes, I see some that definitely apply to USE=vanilla builds. I'll see
if there's anything I can understand. :)

> OK, maybe I was just too dense to see it before, or maybe you kept
> dancing around the issue.  To put it clear (or try at least), your whole
> issue currently is that you cannot use a 'Vanilla' gcc (ie without the
> stubs) to build everything in the tree ?

No, being able to use vanilla GCC as Gentoo's system compiler would be a
nice addition, and if it's agreed as a good idea I don't mind helping
out with getting it working, but I can live without it.

> And not as much the stubs them selfs ?

Being able to check software for unofficial compiler flags is for some
cases a must.

I repeat: two separate issues. They keep getting mixed up here.

> I think you understood wrongly.
>
> If the stubs were to be just removed say tomorrow, and breakage in the
> tree is still of such an extend that bugs starts to flood in again, its
> not just you that will have to read the mail.  If the user is clueless,
> then Jakub have to reassign the bug to either toolchain or the package
> maintainer.  If he could not determine it was due to the missing CFLAG,

The error is very clear:
 cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-fno-stack-protector"

Maybe I have a little bit more confidence in people, sorry if that's
misplaced. :)