On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:13:33AM +0000, Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Portage currently exports $KV as the current kernel version.  We detect
> this by attempting to mess around with the things in /usr/src/linux
> (.config, make files, etc...)
>
> This is duplicating the superb efforts of the kernel team and of
> linux-info eclass.  As such I would like to deprecate $KV in favor of
> using linux-info eclass.  I don't see the need for portage to export $KV
> into the environment for all packages.
>
> There are a few packages left that use this.  There will be a tracker
> bug shortly.  Mostly this mail is just a heads up ;)

I've been after this for quite a long time (I opened a bug but cant seem
to find it) as not only is it horrifically broken, it also should never
have been the job of portage internals anyways.

$KV is currently being exported by linux-info purely for legacy support
and as such I would like to suggest that if these ebuilds inherit
linux-info as well as use $KV, then it should not require any maintainer
changes.

Anything I can do to encourage this move please let me know, and many
thanks for raising this again.

Best Regards,
John

--
Role:            Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
Gentoo Linux:    http://www.gentoo.org