Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 23:50 -0400, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
>> My concern is beyond me.  As I  stated I know enough about what to expect IF
>> use sunrise.  But many do not and with it becoming official people figure
>> it's gentoo and when it breaks Gentoo suffers.  Gentoo has a reputation as a
>> good solid, stable distro.  As user and big fan of Gentoo I'm concerned -
>> why
>> couldn't sunrise have stayed unoffical like BMG.  Why does it have to be
>> official?  Gentoo can choose to do what it feels is right and I will do the
>> same.

It has just to be put clear that in this case "official" doesn't mean
"solid", "right", "tested by our best QA", but simply "preferred". That
is, I think we're not speaking of "official", but "_basically_ revised"
and "encouraged".

Many users (and I'm both a dev *and* a user) just could do much for
Gentoo, but when you're interested in a niche sector package, you *don't
have other choices* but

1) an endless wait for an open bug
2) becoming dev for the good of all :-)
3) just use your personal overlay, without sharing the results of your
efforts. If the bug in 1) is still open, why updating it with your
latest patches/revision bumps?

Statistically you end up to 3). We just need something to reduce this
"statistically".

> BMG has, from day 1, been marginalised in the Gentoo community.  I
> always fancied that they should've been folded into the larger Gentoo
> projects and become what Sunrise is today.  The way I read you, your
> fear is based on the possibility of some future perception by an unknown
> number of people.  Sunrise's idea is that stuff gets checked and
> re-checked and remains accessible -- have you read through their site
> and their commit histories and changesets?  They're not exactly
> dawdling.
>
> As for Gentoo's reputation, I'm actually pleasantly surprised to hear it
> characterised that way :)  If it has that reputation, then it will
> actually take a lot to break that.  I'm surprised that ~keywords didn't
> already break it.   I agree that the official portage tree is a QA
> nightmare. Sunrise seems to be nipping that nightmare for a future date
> -- ie by allowing people to commit and perform peer reviews, they're
> grooming the next generation of developers to look at QA from the
> outset, instead of as an afterthought.

I'm just adding another good point to sunrise (or whatever will be a
revised "preferred centralized repo of packages not officially
supported"): you have another way to benefit of retired devs who just
don't have the time to be responsible for the bugs of a package in an
arch they don't know, but have the interest and the competence to add
packages to an unofficial overlay.

I'll be soon one of those devs: maybe some of the packages I maintain
will finish as "maintainer-wanted". And, in this case, they could
eventually end up in the sunrise overlay: a way for the users to help users.

Just my 2 euro c