Lance Albertson wrote:
> Peter Gordon wrote:
>> Matthew Marlowe wrote:
>>> If we could get a license donated, my vote would be to switch to Atlassian
>>> Jira, http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira.   It seems to be gaining
>>> mindshare rather quickly, and the company I work for just shelled out
>>> $2,400
>>> because they liked it so much more than RT/Bugzilla. I believe it supports
>>> multiple DB backends, including all the usual suspects.
>> Maybe it's just me, but I think that having such a core component of the
>> distribution be proprietary is in complete violation of Gentoo's Social
>> Contract[1] (if not the letter of it, then its spirit of openness). It
>> states:
>>
>>      "Gentoo will never never depend upon a piece of software or
>>      metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License,
>>      the GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
>>      Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the
>>      Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
>>
>> Isn't this one of the driving reasons why our forums run phpBB instead
>> of something like vBulletin, for example? :)
>>
>> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
>
> I'm not entirely sure if this is directed towards the supporting web
> applications or of Gentoo itself. To me its directed towards the meta
> distribution and not any of the underlying support mechanisms of Gentoo.
>  If we were to use some non-gpl webapp, the underlying Gentoo system you
> run does not depend on a non-gpl piece of software. A bug tracking
> system is not an underlying component of Gentoo. Its just a tool that
> helps with development of Gentoo.
>
> But anyways, some people view it in the strict sense and they're
> entitled to it. That's just how I view it when I read it. Its a bit
> vague on what Gentoo really is. Is it talking only about the meta
> distribution? Or that plus the underlying supporting systems that help
> run Gentoo?

I think it is perfectly valid we use this kind of tools for development;
as far as i know, our SC refers to those components (in form of software
and metadata) to be free software upon which a user depend to build a
Gentoo system, and this isn't one of those components. Though i admit it
might bring some kind of 'controversy' .

/me remenbers bitkeeper

- --

Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
Gentoo Linux