Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Maybe there could be an extra file, ie. package.use.alias
>
> foo/bar               gui=gtk
> blah/blubb    gui=qt2
>
> I'm not sure if this alias handling should be done by emerge,
> or better by some frontend (I learned that explicit downgrade
> warnings should be done by an frontend, so why should useflag
> aliasing shouldn't ?). But I'm sure these information should
> not go directly to the ebuilds.

Look, you really didn't invent anything new (refer fex. to GLEP-29)

- http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0029.html
- http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=109802333600005&r=1&w=2

Unless you have some reference implementation that doesn't suck and does
address all the concerns why this has been withdrawn, there's no point
in continuing this discussion and flooding the mailing list. If you read
on the above, it turned out that instead of simplification things can
become a lot more complicated and confusing instead.

--
Best regards,

 Jakub Moc
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 GPG signature:
 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95  B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E

 ... still no signature   ;)