On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:26:10 -0500
Mike Doty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > Olivier Crete wrote:
> >> It was chosen by brad_mssw to match the way it is done on ia64.
> >> And I think we should continue to put the binary
> >> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-* in /emul/  and that lib32 should be
> >> reserved for properly installed packages using portage whenever we
> >> manage to get portage to support it.
> >
> > It makes sense that you wouldn't want these binary packages going
> > into /lib32 or /usr/lib32, but /emul seems like an odd choice
> > compared to something like /opt/lib32.

I though exactly this when I saw SpanKY's query.  Having a directory in
'/' is not pretty.

> IIRC, /emul predates FHS acceptance.  also, while they are "binary"
> packages, they arn't in the same catagory as binary-only packages.  We
> distribute them to assist multilib and to overcome problems that
> portage wasn't really designed for.

More generally we have varying approaches to pre-built packages;
app-office/openoffice-bin installs to /usr for example, while
mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-bin and www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin
install to /opt.

In these cases, where they are installed on the same target
architecture as they were built, I think it makes sense to have them
install as if they were built with 'emerge -B' for installation via
'emerge -K' - i.e. in /usr rather than /opt.

x86-built binary packages for x86_64 are not the same, of course.  One
idea that springs to mind immediately is to put them in a
{bin,include,lib...} hierarchy under /usr/<ctarget> (which is also
where the compiler stuff for <ctarget> ends up).  Conceptually at least
(although no doubt problematic in practice) on x86_64 one could use a
x86(_32) cross-compiler to build stuff to ROOT=/usr/${CTARGET}.  Again
in concept a /${CTARGET}/{bin,include,lib...} would exists for
essential boot stuff, althought that's a bit academic.

Just a thought for the pot ;)

--
Kevin F. Quinn