Alec Warner wrote:
Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
You can get the best of both worlds using straight MI, if the profile
tree is structured properly. Use the existing hierarchy for the 'main'
profile and mixins (nodes with no parent) as extras. The only problem
with this is Portage's current reliance upon a single symlink to
specify the profile... With Paludis one could do:

profiles = default-linux/x86/2006.0 extra/x86/pentium4 extra/misc/cookie

but with /etc/make.profile that's not an option...

Hmmm This sounds a lot more like what Kumba wanted than my original thoughts ;)

This is pretty much exactly what Kumba was talking about. I didn't like the idea simply because it allowed the user to shoot themselves in the foot way too easily. It will also cause QA problems, since the profiles wouldn't be strictly controlled by the arch teams and releng anymore.

--
Andrew Gaffney                            http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
Gentoo Linux Developer                                   Installer Project