Edgar Hucek wrote:
> Just a side hint. Try to enable all flags at the first cimpile time would
> reduce trys drasticaly ;)

If you had a look at the php ebuild (just because we took it as example
here), you'd see that it is a bit more complicated than just enabling
everything to have everything tested.

> So you say a developer cant't test all useflags? That is a strange
> message from you. How can a developer garantee that his package is correct.

He can't. That's what we're saying. Nobody said we can, nor do, nor want to.

> Realy funny, i only hear exuses but no real solution for the problem.

You have heard the real solution for the specific problems you pointed
out: File a bug. You have also heard why it is impossible to guarantee
that it simply works.

> The fact is, that long outstanding bugs are simple ignored. If a useflag
> would only apply to one package it could be ok, but not when the same
> useflag is in other packages and makes this one useflag for the "normal user"
> unusable.

man portage:

package.use
  Per-package USE flags.  Useful  for  tracking  local  USE
  flags  or  for  enabling  USE  flags for certain packages
  only.  Perhaps you develop GTK and thus you want documen-
  tation  for  it, but you don't want documentation for QT.
  Easy as pie my friend!

  Format:
  - comments begin with #
  - one DEPEND atom per line with space-delimited USE flags

  Example:
  # turn on docs for GTK 2.x
  =x11-libs/gtk+-2* doc
  # disable mysql support for QT