On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 19:47 +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > * If no existing file with the intended target name exists, or if
> >   the existing file has identical content to the file to be
> >   installed, the file to be installed is installed as normal.
>
> I would much prefer new files to be treated as if replacing an
> existing zero length file.  When something is installed into /etc,
> etc-update should alert me to this, because logically speaking a
> new configuration file is a big configuration change.
>
> Ideally the package manager would unconditionally respect the config
> protection area, and it should be up to tools like etc-update to
> (configurably) automerge new files and identical files, just like
> it can be configured to automerge trivial/comment changes.

I disagree.  If there is a sane default configuration for something
(which is most things), I want it installed, so it works out of the box.
I don't want to have to fiddle with config files to get sshd up and
running.

Obviously, if there's no sane default configuration (samba?), then the
installed configuration shouldn't do anything.

Daniel