I'm annoyed about impossibility to fix a certain class of breakages
(other than reemerging the failing package). I am referring to the
breakages occurred when foo has been upgraded, but the bar package
cannot work with it because it was build against the old foo version.

We all had to run revdep-rebuild once in awhile, for fixing dynamic
linkage problems, but unfortunately revdep-rebuild cannot fix another
kind of incompatibility, namely dynamic version check implemented in
some packages.
For instance, the recent openssl-0.9.8* update broke dev-libs/neon (and
consequently subversion) because neon library isn't happy just by
linking with libssl.so.0.9.7 but also check the libssl version when
loads the ssl library. Another example is the subtle dependency between
the pppd version and pppd plugins (net-dialup/pptpd needs to be rebuild
every time you change PV of the net-dialup/ppp because pptpd builds a
plugin for the ppp daemon).

I reckon this could be solved by yet another *DEPEND variable. The only
atoms accepted by this variable would be "CATEGORY/PN". Every time when
a package gets updated from PV1 to PV2 (distinct versions, revisions
will not count), portage will automatically re-emerge those packages
that depend on it.

Thoughts?