On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 21:41 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the things that the LAMP Server seed will install will be
> something to do automatic server monitoring - CPU, RAM, swap, disk
> space, bandwidth, and so on.
>
> I'm a cacti user myself on my own boxes, but I'm interested to hear if
> anyone has any strong preference for an alternative tool.  I'd prefer
> it if the tool we finally choose is SNMP-based, to make it easy for
> folks who want to deploy the LAMP Server in a web farm / multi-server
> environment.
>
> Please reply to the list naming your favourite tool for this job, and why.
>
> Best regards,
> Stu

I really like using rrdtool and mrtg, but, those are as user-friendly as
cacti. Cacti is a pretty decent tool though, and, I used to use it
before I switched to mrtg/rrdtool. One reason I use rrdtool in my setup
is because I need custom graphs that cacti can't provide, but, I guess
that in 95% of setups, custom graphs shouldn't be needed. And, I agree
on making it SNMP-based. SNMP is a decent standard, and, its widely used
by routers, servers, and, hell, I think my printer even has a SNMP
server running on it. Thats just my opinion

~ Nick