On Wednesday, 04. October. 2006 13:00, Thomas Cort wrote:
> There have been a number of developers leaving Gentoo in the past 6
> months as well as a number of news stories on DistroWatch, Slashdot,
> LWN, and others about Gentoo's internal problems. No one seems to have
> pin pointed the problem, but it seems glaringly obvious to me. We
> simply don't have enough developers to support the many projects that
> we have. Here are my ideas for fixing this problem:
>
> - Cut the number of packages in half (put the removed ebuilds in
> community run overlays)

We (treecleaner, poke Alec about that) are currently working on something
alike. A user / Alec suggested putting removed packages into a seperate
overlay, so the ebuilds would be still accessible (without using
sources.gentoo.org and putting it into a local overlay).

> - Formal approval process (or at least strict criteria) for adding
> new packages
>
> - Make every dev a member of at least 1 arch team

I think that would solve the understaffing of some of the arch teams (iirc
amd64 and x86 are having enough devs / at's right now)

> - Double the number of developers with aggressive recruiting

Before you do that, you'll have to double the number of recruiters. Otherwise
you're creating a pretty bottleneck.

> - No competing projects
>
> - New projects must have 5 devs, a formal plan, and be approved by the
> council
>
> - Devs can only belong to 5 projects at most

Reducing the stress on people ? No clue what that would solve.

> - Drop all arches and Gentoo/Alt projects except Linux on amd64,
> ppc32/64, sparc, and x86

I guess at least Diego and Fabian are going to yell at you right now.

> - Reduce the number of projects by eliminating the dead, weak,
> understaffed, and unnecessary projects
>
> - Project status reports once a month for every project

That would be great, but to whom should they report ? The council ? Or
via -core ?

--
Christian Heim <phreak at gentoo.org>
GPG key ID: 9A9F68E6

Your friendly treecleaner/mobile/kernel/vserver/openvz monkey