On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 07:40 -0400, Kari Hazzard wrote:
> On Thursday 05 October 2006 10:48 am, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > What about *our* choice to not waste time building things we don't want?
>
> So what about those of us who DO want that? Forcing us into an installer is
> more constricting and gives us less freedom--That's not the Gentoo way.

Start building...

> "If the tool forces the user to do things a particular way, then the tool is
> working against, rather than for, the user. We have all experienced
> situations where tools seem to be imposing their respective wills on us. This
> is backwards, and contrary to the Gentoo philosophy." - Daniel Robbins

That's nice.

Nobody is forcing you to use the Installer.  Nobody is forcing you to
even use Gentoo release media to do your installations.  Your "point"
here is a complete non-point.

You're completely welcome to take the minimal CD, a stage3 tarball, and
wget and build your own Universal CD.  You're also more than welcome to
fire up catalyst and build a Universal CD yourself.  What you are *not*
welcome to do is try to tell me how I'm going to spend the time that I
volunteer to Gentoo.  Now, if you would like to hire me to build a
Universal CD, then contact me and we can discuss my compensation.
Otherwise, I have more important things (to me) to spend my time doing.

> > See, what *you* seem to be missing is that we're trying to provide a
> > better environment for our users.  The LiveCD is *not* just an
> > installation medium anymore.  It is a full-fledged Gentoo environment.
> > It can be used for showcasing Gentoo, as well as system recovery *and*
> > installation.
>
> There's a thing called self-reference criteria. It's anathema in marketing.
> If
> you think you know what is best for your users, you will all of your users
> and thus most of your employees. Your users know what is best for them, *not*
> you, as you are not a user (whether you have it installed on your desktop
> notwithstanding you are *not* a user). If your users still want a Universal
> LiveCD, then the onus is on Gentoo to provide one.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Release Engineering has a constant problem of not having enough help.
Now some people want to try to tell us that we need to do more work just
because they don't like a little change.  Well guess what, never going
to happen.

It's pretty simple.  So long as we have limited resources, we're going
to spend our limited time on what *we* want to spend time doing.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead