On Saturday 14 October 2006 04:49, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
>  Do we have an official list of recommended -march settings somewhere?
>
>  I, for one, still do not know what the right CFLAGS for my ThinkPad X60s
>  with its Intel Core Duo CPU are.

but what you actually want is a list that tells you what cpu value to pass
to -march/-mtune based upon the product name of the processor you're running

wikipedia.org is a good resource to find out the capabilities of your cpu ...
or you could simply compare `man gcc` to /proc/cpuinfo

>    CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe"

should work fine

>  while http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags suggests either
>
>    CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

here's a good reason why gentoo-wiki is not official ... this is wrong.  the
duo cpu's are not based on the pentium4 which is what the prescott is

>    CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -msse3 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

there is no gcc flag at the moment for duo's which means the pentium-m
+ -msse3 is your best bet ... the base pentium-m did not include SSE3 support
so by simply using that -march, you do not have SSE3 enabled
-mike