I was thinking a while back (dangerous) ;-). That it would be a good
idea to have a global use flag for all packages that have related vim
syntax ebuilds. say I set the use flag (let's call it vim-syntax) for
pam, then it would pull app-vim/pam-syntax, there are I think at least
20 syntax ebuilds.

this might also allow for the removal of the meta ebuilds that pull
multiple syntax files. I'm not sure on that though, because some might
still want to pull all files at once.

the reason I'm suggesting this is that I'm a vim user that doesn't
want to research what syntax files are available but also doesn't want
to pull all the syntax ebuilds. only the ones for packages I have
installed. it would also allow people to find a syntax ebuild comes
out for a package they use where it didn't previously exist.