Donnie Berkholz wrote:
Kinda makes you think they shouldn't be specific to types of plugin,
doesn't it? There could be an eselect browser-plugin module that can
select various types of browser plugins. Not sure how a 4th level would
fit in with eselect as far as usability etc goes, though.

Thanks,
Donnie

Yeah, the module I posted could be adapted to do that with not too much effort. The problem is, though, that it works on the level of whole plugins, rather than MIME types: if you have, say, one plugin that handles OGG and MP3, and one that handles WMA and MP3, there's no reliable way that I know of to choose how to handle MP3, without losing either OGG or MP3. That might be acceptable: have a "multimedia" category of plugins, and let the user choose the one that handles the types that he/she needs, but I'm starting to think that this really belongs in the browsers themselves.