On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 08:40 +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even
> vote on, let us know !  Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole
> Gentoo dev list to see.

I have one item that I would like to see addressed in the next possible
council meeting: The reply behavior of gentoo-core messages. What's
happening is that gentoo-core appears to have no default Reply-To header
set.

This issue I feel needs to be addressed for two major reasons:
Firstly, with no explicit Reply-To address, most mail clients default to
replying to the sender of the message. This means that, for people who
use such clients must manually replace the To: address in their reply
composition. Unfortunately, there have been prior instances of a dev
accidentally replying to the -core list on -dev. This means that the
conversation intended to stay private and internal to Gentoo suddenly is
in the public eye and many archives. This will inevitably occur if such
behavior is not resolved.

Secondly, every other Gentoo mailing list that I am subscribed to
(g-dev, g-devrel, g-gwn) adds a Reply-To header which instructs the
dev's MUA to default to replying to the list address, rather than to the
individual sender of the message to which they reply. Unfortunately,
gentoo-core is the only list which does not follow this behavior.

I would appreciate the council voting on making this behavior
consistent: Force gentoo-core to add this header, or remove it from the
other mailing lists.

Thanks.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)