Hi List!

This is a heads up to say that I'm going to be putting baselayout-1.13 into
~ARCH soon as all the exciting new features I wanted are in - FreeBSD and
vserver support, buffered and wrapped einfo/ewarn/eerror output, rc-depend
for lightning fast dependency sorting, no more critical services, no more net
service specific code.

So if you're concerned about any of the above features breaking your precious
Gentoo, now is a very good time to test :)

However, one issue is a concern. All baselayouts defined svcdir
in /etc/conf.d/rc which defines where we hold the state information of the
running services. This defaulted to /var/lib/init.d - which is bad as /var
could be on a different partition.

In 1.13, we've removed the variable from /etc/conf.d/rc and it's now forced
to /lib/rcscripts/init.d which is safe as /lib is always on the same
partition as /. The 1.13 ebuild will copy across existing state data, this is
not the problem. However, downgrading back to 1.12 is a problem as services
may have been stop, started etc in the middle.

One solution is to ensure that we only hold one copy of the state data and
move it to the new location. However, this does require altering the stable
ebuild as well.

Or we could just slap a very large warning on it.

Ideas are welcome :)

--
Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo/Linux/FreeBSD Developer (baselayout, networking)