Patrick McLean wrote:
> Matthew Snelham wrote:
>>
>>> If you want that level of flexability then simply symlink /lib/rcscripts
>>> to /var/rcscripts or where-ever you like.
>> But then baselayout is still 'behaving badly' by sttempting to store
>> dynamic state information in /lib.  Something it has not done before, to
>> the best of my knowledge (with the exception of /dev state tarballs, which
>> are generally acceptable, since they don't change while the system is up).
>>
>> UNIX filesystem usage patterns are older than a good chunk of gentoo devs,
>> so in the name of defaulting to expected behaviour, I think /lib should be
>> avoided.
>
> +1
>
> This is a very good point, why are we breaking from accepted UNIX standards
> uselessly? Generally, a live system should never need to write to /lib, but a
> writable /var is pretty much standard. This new behavior breaks standards, if
> /var is on a separate filesystem, maybe we can use a subdir in /tmp for the
> init
> stuff until we get /var up, then move it over.
Agreed, this is a good point. Writing to /lib will also cause security
complications for things like AIDE and other intrusion detection systems
that look for writes to certain directories. If they see /lib changing
quite often, it might confuse 'em and the sysadmin, who will get a rash
of spurious alerts.