On Tuesday 07 November 2006 09:49, Duncan wrote:
> Getting a bit worried by comments so far.  You ARE planning to keep the
> OPTION of keeping a tmpfs (or whatever) mounted svcdir, right (an option
> to keep it mounted that way after the boot level, is how I guess it'd
> work)?

Actually we mount it in the sysinit runlevel

> I'm using that now and hope to keep it. I went with the suggested
> size=2m (tmpfs). df says 184KB used, so that's quite big enough and then
> some, but on Linux the free space isn't actually allocated until it's no
> longer free space, so no matter. Are you saying the BSDs would allocate
> and therefore remove from further use the full 2MB, no way around it, even
> if only 148KB is actually used?

Which demonstrates that you don't know about tmpfs as you don't specify any
size for it - it just uses what it needs.

And yes, the BSD's will use the full 2MB.

Actually I forgot about the option allowing you todo this. It will be
supported in the next version, although the variable name specified
in /etc/conf.d/rc will change to match out existing RC_ names, the old one
will still work.

Thanks

--
Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo/Linux/FreeBSD Developer (baselayout, networking)