Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 November 2006 21:01, Kurt Lieber wrote:
>
>> So, in other words, spammers aren't abusing anything related to SPF.
>> They're sending mail using forged return-paths and SPF is highlighting
>> that.  Which is exactly what SPF is designed to do.
>>
> If I were to send my gentoo mail through a mail.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org, with
> its own SPF record, (I'm not as this is not a "real" domain I have access to,
> nor a mailserver for what it's worth), with a From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> a Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED], would it be a PASS or a FAIL in
> SPF?

It doesn't matter what From, Sender or whatever else in the message header.
The part that counts is the Return-Path (the "mail from:" part of the
SMTP protocol).

Of course, MUAs such as Thunderbird don't give you the possibility to
set that and it will be the same as your  From address.
A SPF-capable MTA will PASS your message to the recipient.
However, SA will add 1.1 to the message spam score because of the
SPF_NEUTRAL test.