On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 02:21 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
> The bonus is that we then need to have a fetcher that runs over the main
> tree and all supported release trees, and this of course increases
> mirror size as we now have distfiles in the tree from a year ago to
> support a year old release.  I am unsure how much space this would take
> up; but this is an obstacle that must be overcome (somehow), preferably
> by giving infra an estimate on the space reqs.

Well, we have to provide distfiles for everything we've ever released a
binary of, forever, to comply with the GPL.

As of this release, I kept a copy of all of the distfiles for the entire
release, and can make a DVD of it, on request.  This fulfills our
requirements with the GPL.

I would bet that for most of the tree, the size increase would be
negligible, since quite a bit of the tree doesn't change every six
months.  Of course, the stuff that does change tends to be the larger
things, like desktop environments and such.  I wouldn't have a clue how
to give you an idea of the space requirements until the next release
comes about and I also have distfiles for that release.  That will give
you an idea, based only on what we release, though.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead