Hi,

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:38:14 -0500
Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I think it should also include the Homepage(s) and Description of
> > the packages so readers could easily check what that additions are
> > all about. While I'm not that sure that additions date and probably
> > who made the addition are that important for readers.
>
> The only reason the contact and date are there is because the code
> for removals and additions is basically the same (A or D tells me
> which one it is) and all that info is available in the CVS history
> file.  The problem with HOMEPAGE or DESCRIPTION is that they are
> version specific and there is no way to choose which version to pick
> in the case where more than one version was added at the same time.

The way I implemented this was to get the homepage(s) and description
from the newest version, but I think absolutely any convention will
work as in the very rare cases where someone commits several versions
with different homepages or descriptions, giving the info about just
one of the versions should be quite a good indicator on what this
package is all about, else the versions should not share the same
package name (in the case that they do completely different things).

Also, to get that info you can use portageq in a reasonably simple way,
something like:

let ebuild be $CATEGORY/$PF

homepage="$(PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${CVS_DIR}" portageq metadata / ebuild \
        "${ebuild}" HOMEPAGE)"
description="$(PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${CVS_DIR}" portageq metadata / ebuild \
        "${ebuild}" DESCRIPTION)"

This will make the script a little bit slower, but it should not be
that hard to integrate.

Best,
Yuri.