Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Then agriffis invented the original die, along with assert (which no-one
> seems to use these days...). It avoided the quoting and environment
> problems with try, and it was good. However, it doesn't work inside
> subshells, which is only a mild annoyance so long as you know your
> shell scripting (which most devs don't...).

assert is definitely useful (not only in ebuild context of course)

..
> The problem... is that most people don't realise a) when they're
> triggering a subshell, b) how die works (read the source, it's about
> twenty lines) or c) how unix signals work. This is why it's dangerous to
> claim that "die now works inside subshells" -- yes, it does work,
> *sometimes*, but because of all the limitations imposed by signals, it
> cannot be considered a complete solution.

Sorry, where is the source; which package and file?

I've read up a bit on signals- iirc they don't always get thru.

Can I ask you- have you got an entire system building in Paludis, and do
others? How well does it run from an install?