Chris Gianelloni wrote:

> Imagine you have userpriv in FEATURES.  If an ebuild has
> RESTRICT=userpriv, it *WILL* disable userpriv, no matter what the user
> does.  Adding ACCEPT_RESTRICT allows the user to not list userpriv (or
> -userpriv if userpriv is on by default) and the ebuild WILL NOT RUN if
> it requires userpriv be disabled.

What should it do then?  Does emerge error out, or is there some kind of
indication or message that the package going to be ignored?  Does
nomerge get some colored letters when you do emerge -Dtvp world?  Do we
show this in the deptree or when it's time for the package to be built?

I don't like that portage will override a user's FEATURES, especially if
it's something explicitly specified and silently ignored.  I don't think
ACCEPT_RESTRICT is the way to handle it though.  I would rather portage
display a message explaining the restriction and then

        a) continue if the package is part of a larger target (ie. emerge
-DtvuNp world) and currently installed, or

        b) error if the package was specified on the command line or is not
currently installed.

Honestly, that would be scratching an itch of mine with fetch-restricted
ebuilds killing an unattended emerge world, but it might serve as a
model for future stuff like RESTRICT=unattended too.

--
                                        by design, by neglect
dirtyepic gentoo org            for a fact or just for effect