On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:44:15 -0700
"Daniel Robbins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For speed, there are a *lot* of changes/improvements that could be
> made.

Yes, re-writing the backend in C whilst keeping /etc/init.d/
and /etc/conf.d/ as shell scripts is a good start :)

> What I would like to see is the ability to get to a login prompt
> before startup is actually completed. Have all the non-essential
> startup stuff run in the background.
>
> Yes, this would require a sophisticated system since you could log in
> and start something that requires something that has not yet been
> started, and it would need to understand and deal with this
> appropriately and gracefully.
>
> But I think it would be cool.
>
> The perception of speed is based on how long you have to wait before
> you can do stuff.

Oh, that's easy. I can do this

RC_LOGIN_SERVICES="foo bar"

and rc will wait until sysinit, boot have completed and then wait for
foo AND bar to complete.

The side effect is at the point we login no service einfo stuff is
shown.

The obvious downside is that the user needs to state which services are
required for logging in, but they would know that much better than us.

Of course, that relies on RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP being set.

Thanks

Roy