On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 01:46:56PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:51:27 +0100 Simon Stelling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > > I'd like it spelt out please.
> >
> > Here we go:
> >
> > > So why not start by imposing deadlines upon more important projects
> > > like Portage USE deps, [snip]
> >
> > USE deps can't be used anyway in EAPI=0 because it would break
> > current versions of portage. So we need EAPI=1, but you can't say
> > putting together version 2 of a spec before version 1 was writte is
> > sane. So we need the EAPI=0 spec. Makes it pretty easy to figure out
> > why this spec is fairly important.
>
> I disagree. It's very easy and probably the best way of doing things to
> say "If ebuilds want to use slot deps, use deps or blah, they set
> EAPI=1. Otherwise, continue as normal.". So far as I'm aware,
> everything currently planned for EAPI 1 is an extension, not a change
> in behaviour.

Fair bit more was on the table as potentials for EAPI1; breaking
src_compile into src_configure/src_compile, glep33 (eclass2
seperation), misc reductions of env vars and tightening of various
metadata (RESTRICT for example, formally forbiding the no* form).

Thats off the top of the head, and just the stuff I've had on hold for
EAPI=1.  Would expect user/group management (glep27 off the top of the
head) would be on the radar also, although thats firmly in pioto's
court.

Either way, when the angle of "do EAPI=1 while waiting for EAPI=0 to
be fully defined" was brought up, a vocal subgroup of people initially
shot it down.
~harring