Hi.

Wernfried Haas wrote:

[snip]
> Please define access. Does that mean they get to ban people from the
> forums and all #gentoo-* channels? Do they get mod/op powers or just
> request it from the respective forum moderators / channel operators
> (who _have_ to follow their orders)?

[snip]
> What exactly is Gentoo's official communication infrastructure? The
> mailinglists? _All_ IRC channels? So far #gentoo and #gentoo-dev are
> the only channels following some official policy, all others are ruled
> by whatever project/owner they have (afaik, correct me if
> wrong). Would a ban also affect all #gentoo-* channels and the forums?
> Posting on planet? What about gentoo developers calling people names
> in non-gentoo channels while wearing a gentoo cloak on irc or being
> otherwise easily identified as such (e.g. posting flames to debian
> mailing lists using @gentoo.org email)?

[snip]
> Kind of answers my question, but i'm still asking for confirmation
> because i have a hard time believing it. Do the proctors get to
> overrule every team that moderates some communication channel already?

[snip]

> Furthermore this raises an important question for me:
> So far, the forums moderators (as well as the ops in #gentoo) have
> enforced their policies. As long proctors and mods/ops are of the same
> opinion about a person, fine - but what about the following
> situations:
>
> - A developer misbehaves on the forums according to the forums staff
>   and gets banned by them.
>
> So far, it has been our policy (not written, and hardly used every 2
> years) to let devrel know about it in case they wanted to do something
> else about it. I guess it would make sense to continue that.
> What if the proctors disagree with the ban?
>
> - The proctors think someone is misbehaving on the forums and want him
>   banned, while the forums staff think it is not ban worthy. What now
[snip]

I agree with all of the previous points raised by amne and am very
interested on how do you propose the proctors, gentoo IRC channel ops,
forum moderators and userrel work together. As it seems the proposal is
for these guidelines to uphold in every Gentoo communication channel and
project, they will affect the MLs, the IRC channels, the forums and
projects like the userreps. I think that the rules need to take into
account specifics of each communication channel - as an example I would
recall the OTW forum, which is subject to a different set of guidelines
in the forums.
As amne asked before, will the proctors have overruling power over
moderators for existing channels? If so, is the council suggesting that
the proctors / devrel / council should "control" the forums moderation
team and the IRC channel ops? As amne also asked, do you propose that
teams work together or that proctors become forum moderators/admins and
channel ops for all official IRC gentoo channels?