On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 14:13 +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
> On Samstag, 17. März 2007, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> > IMHO I think it should be up to the package maintainer how close they
> > want to follow upstream. With regard to development, progress, testing,
> > qa, feedback. I think it's a very good thing, since it allows things to
> > be caught before actual releases, during development.
>
> Doing this locally or in some development overlay is fine, but polluting the
> tree with every single development build is a bad idea, imho.

Well at best I might have 2 "development" versions in tree. But most
times it's just one, and I will remove older versions during any bump.
So hardly any polluting going on. Definitely no worse than what occurred
when the package was going unmaintained :)

Also in server envs, it seems most prefer not to use overlays. From my
own experiences, I can't blame them much. Even for testing servers. They
will usually divert and wait to test till it hits tree :(

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java