Josh Saddler wrote:
Just because we have Gentoo devs who are also Gnome upstream doesn't make their
Gnome-related packages that happen to be in our tree official Gentoo
projects

A Gentoo developer that is also a Gnome developer that wants to mentor a project to better integrate Gentoo and Gnome (in some way) would be appropriate. Just like the proposed Java-related projects are appropriate - facilitating a better Gentoo/Java experience.

Paludis is a tool used for working with the Gentoo Portage tree - there is no problem with it being part of a Gentoo Google Summer of Code project as it will benefit the Gentoo project and its users.

> No third-party non-Gentoo SoC projects leeching off our organization and resources, please.

You've got that backwards. This is a potential SoC student who wants to *give* something to Gentoo (and Paludis). No one is leeching anything.

j.