On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 00:22 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2007, Dale wrote:
> > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, we're on the second floor of the data center which has a quite
> > > large basement, which would likely absorb most of the water.  About the
> > > only feasible way for our stuff to get flooded is if the San Andreas
> > > finally gets the "big one" and the west coast of the US falls into the
> > > Pacific, in which case, we'll be worried about other issues, I'm sure.
> > >
> > > That being said, you're more than welcome to assist Infrastructure (and
> > > the Foundation) in finding new hosting locations as well as the manpower
> > > to bring new services up in those locations or moving existing services.
> > > Doing moves like this is a bunch of work, and not something I feel we
> > > should be "dumping" on the Infrastructure team.
> >
> > Can I assume this building has indoor plumbing?  It can be on the top
> > floor and still get flooded.  I saw a house once that the hot water
> > heater busted and water was about a foot deep and was coming out the walls.
> >
> > More than one way to "flood" a building.  :/
>
> Actually the situation is not that hypothetical. Some years ago the
> datacenter
> of the University of Twente (The Netherlands) was set to fire by an angry
> systems administrator. The building housed among other infrastructure vital
> to the university also some machines of great importance to the debian
> project. Due to a combined effort of suppliers, the university staff and the
> fact that they had a new datacenter that happened to be about to open, most
> things were up an running again in a few days.

> The thing I'm worried about
> most is insurrance. I trust that infra has backups of the important things
> like our repositories.

The hosting Gentoo gets from GNi is a world class service in some of
the best data centers in the world. Everything important gets backed
up nightly from one data center to another. As GNi/365 Main move into
more data centers world wide chances are Gentoo will be moving into
those additionally as well.

--
Ned Ludd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo Linux