Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> Stuart Longland wrote:
>>> Portage itself, does take a long time to load its libraries.  I'm yet to
>>> try Paludis (I'm one of the few MIPS devs that doesn't use it yet), but
>>> do hear good things about it.  Perhaps some of the concepts used in
>>> Paludis could be applied in portage, in order to speed up performance
>>> when searching or querying?
>> I'd advise everybody to try paludis and pkgcore to see how the
>> alternatives are faring, I must say that I'm quite surprised by how fast
>> they are.
> Please could you reassure us that they can co-exist with portage so that one
> can be certain that changing to either paludis or pkgcore is not
> irriversable?

I did that on a completely clean box (my freshly reinstalled laptop)

emerge pkgcore paludis

fetched the paludis configuration importer

ran it

alternatively tested all of them doing random stuff for a while w/out
seeing any problem.

Obviously you should read the documentation and the advices.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC