Josh Saddler napsal(a):
> I completely disagree with your assessment of the in-kernel hda-intel
> state. My workstation uses one of those (labelled nVidia MCP 55, for the
> curious), and my experiences with in-kernel ALSA have been nothing but
> positive with the intel audio, whether compiled or as modules.

I could say the same about your assessment of the in-kernel hda-intel
drivers, as could many other users... Same for via82xx - never had much
luck with the in-kernel drivers, plus upgrading the whole kernel over
and over again just to test whether something got fixed is a major PITA.

As said, these are two different branches, what works for somebody
doesn't need to work for someone else.

> For the record, the kernel and alsa team have gone back and forth on
> this for a long time -- and it's always been my task to update the ALSA
> guide for whichever "wins", or at least that's how it's been lately. The
> thing about ALSA upstream not accepting certain bugs -- I'm not sure
> Diego ever mentioned any such thing; is this really true?

I really don't get these fights, the two things can co-exist quite
nicely and users can benefit from this. What's this need to 'deprecate'
the external stuff once again about? (And yeah, ALSA upstream doesn't
deal with in-kernel drivers bugs.)

> At the very least, this should cut down on spurious bug reports on our
> own bugzilla. However, it'd be nice from the point of view of the GDP if
> the kernel and ALSA maintainers would decide, once and for all, what
> should be supported and what shouldn't, whether in-kernel or
> alsa-drivers is recommended. Because it's been going back and forth for
> years as to which gets priority in the docs. Pick something for the
> users to install and stick with it, please.

Both should be supported, as explained above. Spurious bugs? Not really
sure what you mean.

And no, kernel 2.4 is definitely not *the* reason to keep the external
alsa drivers supported (Frankly I'd be very happy to see the whole 2.4
kernel branch declared as unsupported on Gentoo - noone's really testing
anything against those kernels these days and the bugs are lingering
there for ages as noone cares; even the 2.4 kernels we still have in the
tree are pretty much unmaintained).

--
Best regards,

 Jakub Moc
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 GPG signature:
 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95  B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E

 ... still no signature   ;)