Mike Auty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted [EMAIL PROTECTED],
excerpted below, on  Sun, 01 Apr 2007 23:43:37 +0100:

Snipped a lot of well stated opinion...

> So now the question is, are we willing to accept the cons for the pros,
> or do we need to find a different solution.  If not, then other package
> managers should invest their time in ratifying a specification quickly,
> so that they can get down to coding to the specification.  Also, those
> against a new manager, should get down to agreeing the specification so
> that managers with the possibility of fracturing are bound within a
> framework of acceptability.  As I see it, that leaves both sides working
> towards the same direction, and should give impetus to both groups to
> come to a common point as fast as possible.

> If not, then probably we should return to the drawing board, but I
> concur that bickering and worrying about the future without pinpointing
> the problem and trying to tackle it, is far more futile than working
> towards a viable solution...

I think you said it better than I did.  =8^)

Taking a bit of a bent, here... Of course, from the (amd64) user side,
the single missing feature I think of most often is missing full multi-
arch, not for me personally as I do source only, but there are a lot of
folks that would certainly not miss having to do the chroot thing to get
the full usual benefits of Gentoo -- the pre-compiled emul- packages are
nice and definitely serve a purpose, but just aren't the same.  Do either
of the alternatives deal with that?