On Sunday 08 April 2007 03:16:12 Steev Klimaszewski wrote:
> Odd that dbus would crash/restart - hald uses dbus, not the other way
> around
Yeah, I was wondering too, why this happened.

> however, dbus should be restarted to read the new (possibly)
> hald.conf - the real fix would be for the apps that use hal to NOT bomb
> when hal is yanked out from under them.  Glad it was fairly painless for
> you.
Is there any way stopping the kernel from inotify-ing a directory? Couldn't
find one yet.
So we could add a test to the ebuild, whether it is a upgrade from <0.5.9 and
prevent reloading of the files until the next reboot.
Maybe this could find it's way into an eclass, because other
applications/daemons like dbus will surely suffer from the same problem when
having the next $PV_MAJOR upgrade, so we could use the functions global.
Should I open a bug for tracking this issue?

> And it is good to know that some people are using KNetworkManager - I
> don't have a machine currently with KDE installed (my KDE machine died)
> and so I haven't tested it at all recently.
KNetworkmanager works really fine here, except of some troubles concerning
ipw3945+WPA which should be fixed in the next NetworkManager release (I hope
it gets released soon, currently, my WLAN is only WEP "encrypted" :-/ ).

Elias