Am Montag 30 April 2007 21:00 schrieb Kevin F. Quinn:
> The thing about static libraries, is that the ebuild that creates them
> doesn't know whether anything else will want to use them.  It may be
> that in practice, most libraries are never used in their static form -
> but the point is that the ebuild doesn't know enough information to
> make the decision.

That's true for now, but it won't anymore when use dependencies are
implemented. Then a corresponding useflag could be used to opt-in for static
builds.

> However, with INSTALL_MASK, the user makes the decision never to have
> static binaries, and thus gets a system free of static libraries.

Except the little detail that INSTALL_MASK definately breaks things. I tried
it yesterday.
The reason is that packages that build static libs (though --disable-static is
set) will depend on other static libs. With INSTALL_MASK in place those
static libs are never installed. Hence the build fails.
So it is not a working option.