> Isn't this why we have slots?

Yeah, but I think it's a hack in this case.  All of the current versions in
portage
are 1.95, which I believe were pre-releases to 2.0.  As far as I can tell,
nothing
is vastly different in 2.0 other than bug fixes and a final soname change.  As
well,
we'd have to put the slotted versions header files into directories where all
of the
packages that depend on expat won't know where to find them.

It's going to cause a mess of "why did my program stop working?" bugs, but it's
probably one of these things that should have been done a long time ago.