cilly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think it's worth to discuss the `behaviour of removing ebuilds from
> the tree`.

Currently it's up to the developer, some people are more conservative,
some prefer to get rid of certain stuff asap.

You should differentiate between ~ and stable ones btw...

> In my opinion, ebuilds are removed too soon, i.e. if an ebuild gets updated
> the older ebuild gets removed in the same turn.

This happens only when:

- there are security concerns
- the old ebuild was there till ages and the new one had been in ~ since
ages.

> In my opinion, it is better to keep the older ebuild around for a while since
> if there are some bugs in the newer ebuild, users are able to downgrade
> easily.

that's is quite up to the specific applications IMHO.

> What do you think?

I'd leave it up to the developer, nothing is lost in gentoo and fetching
from the attic isn't exactly difficult. Still probably having a note to
make people aware of that could be useful since the problem you pointed
doesn't require any more work to be solved.

> PS: other topics to be discussed `Not to modify ebuilds which are
> already in the tree... even if masked` what do you think?

I probably understood what you mean and well, no, I don't think is a
good idea.

lu - that prefers less rules and more people aware.

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero