Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> Ryan Hill wrote:

>> It doesn't.  See freetype which requires >=fontconfig-2.3 at runtime
>> which in turn requires freetype at runtime.  Bug #179736.

> I think the problem is that fontconfig has freetype not just in RDEPEND
> but also DEPEND

Doh.  You're right of course.

> P.S. I think the solution with PDEPEND is wrong for bug 179736. If I
> understand it correctly, then >freetype-2.2 doesn't NEED
> >=fontconfig-2.4, but, if installed, will crash older versions. Then
> there should be a blocker on <fontconfig-2.4 in freetype. I think
> portage handles that correctly since some point. And if not, it should :)

I'm a firm believer that blockers absolutely suck and should be avoided
at all costs.  But in this case I don't see another way around it, since
while playing around just now I discovered another way to break the
depgraph with the current PDEPEND.

Thanks for the advice. :)

--
dirtyepic                 salesman said this vacuum's guaranteed
 gentoo org          it could suck an ancient virus from the sea