On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:14:38 -0400
Seemant Kulleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What's the case here?  Third-party ebuilds being contributed into the
> tree via bugzilla and other means?  Or third-party ebuilds from joe
> shmoe off www.joeshmoesebuilds.com?
>
> The second case is meaningless to Gentoo.   The first case needs to be
> considered.  The question there, I suppose, is: do we *require*
> contributors to license ebuilds as GPL-2?  And if that is the case,
> that's what stops them.

Right. The second case is already covered by Gentoo policy.

> It would be an interesting question, though, to prove that someone
> wrote a from-scratch ebuild via looking only at the documentation,
> and without basing any parts off of already existing ebuilds in the
> tree, no?

It'd be interesting to try to prove that they *did* copy it too... For
a sufficiently trivial ebuild, it's entirely possible for a third party
to come up with something that's very close to the in-tree ebuild, even
if they did write it from scratch...

Didn't someone (Seemant? I forget) have to 'provably' rewrite a few
ebuilds that were in the tree a while ago? Wasn't there some issue with
the copyright on ebuilds written by a former developer being something
like "Copyright blah Gentoo and dude's_nick"?

--
Ciaran McCreesh