Am 13.07.2007 um 00:43 schrieb Chrissy Fullam:
The -dev mailing list would be the list for development discussion. The reason it does not replace -core is because it would still be open to be
viewed by the public.
Many devs have stated that they do not wish to read -dev presently due to the quantity of off topic emails, or at least those that are not productive. These devs would be able to continue to read -dev and reduce the volume of
email to wade through to only those pertinent to the topic at hand.
Non-devs would still subscribe and post, but those posts must first be
approved by ANY developer.
The -project mailing list would be the place for the unmoderated and
potentially off topic correspondence. I don't think anyone is married to the
name. It also is a required list for a dev to join.

Isn't that two solutions for one problem?

Creating the -project list is a way to discuss off-topic non-technical
stuff on a place other than -dev. Why would we need to enforce moderation
on the -dev list along with that?

I have to second the voices that a lot of user mails are productive. I did not do any stats, but I feel that most mails to -dev are currently by Gentoo devs anyway, so it will not seriously reduce the amount of mail in total.

As far as the usually fast technical discussions are concerned, my problem here is that users are in practical kept out of the discussion by the mere
delay of their mails. We might experience double replies, users writing
replies which get dumped -- because someone else already wrote the
same mail 30 minutes ago and it did not get approved until he wrote his mail. If you ever spent 30 minutes figuring out a problem in Mac OS X and filing
a decent bug report on their bug tracker just to find out it gets DUPed,
but you could not know before because the search is not public, you know
what I am talking about.

My imagination of this would be:
Create the project list for open discussion and restrict the
*topic* range, not the *participant* range  of this list.
We can evaluate whether the SNR did improve enough after some time.

Regards,

Robert