On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:53:08 +0200
Thomas de Grenier de Latour <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2007/07/10, Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > for some flags yes ... for others, i dislike that idea for the exact
> > same reason for the other profile-based suggestions: these defaults
> > should live in the ebuild, not the profile
>
> I agree that putting per-package defaults in ebuilds is far more
> elegant than putting them in profiles.
>
> My point is just that it doesn't work that well with the USE_ORDER
> that have been chosen. Even keeping the "-* in make.conf" case appart
> (obviously my opinion on how it should behave was not widely shared, i
> can live with that), there is still a problem with -* in make.defaults
> files: the day you switch from IUSE="nocxx" to IUSE="+cxx", will you
> remember that, as a consequence, you have to fix hardened/2.6/minimal
> profile?

Well, it's just like any other renaming of USE flags in that regard.

> And also, in bug #61732 there is this comment from Zac about "-foo"
> not being supported because pkginternal is at the bottom of the stack.
> Imho, that's missing a great opportunity to make users' life a bit
> easier... Take the "gtk" flag, which is on by default in usual desktop
> profiles, but as the drawback to trigger GTK+-1.2 installation just
> for a few CLI programs which comes with an optional obsolete GUI:
> wouldn't it be nice if said packages could state IUSE="-gtk", so that
> the default behavior would be to install only GTK+-2.x GUIs?  I'm
> pretty sure it would save a tenth of /etc/portage/package.use entries
> for many users.

IIRC that has been added a little while ago, but with the current
default USE_ORDER it's more or less useless. And while I can see why
people would want IUSE defaults to have a higher priority than
USE in make.defaults and/or make.conf, I suspect the vast majority of
users would get completely lost in finding out where a flag was
enabled/disabled (the current system is already confusing to a lot of
people until they get a detailed explanation).

Marius