Marius Mauch wrote:
> Two questions:
> - are there more packages that could benefit from this?

None that I know of. However, there might be other similar packages
without a source tarball (slim chance, but quite possible). At first, I
asked upstream to provide such tarball, but I got refused because
"SourceForge file release process is far too annoying".
As a side note, if bitpim wasn't such a fairly popular package, I
wouldn't even bother with it (personally I don't use it).

> - is there a particular reason this has to be integrated into the
> ebuild and should not be handled by an ordinary script?

There are 2 reasons:
  a) convenience - no need to pass version to the script
  b) maintainability - easy to take over when I will be gone

P.S: The name proposed by me isn't exactly right, as Mike already
remarked on the bug. I suggest to use src_create as function name.