On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:34:17 Thomas Tuttle wrote:

> Personally, I prefer quicker mechanisms to slower ones, but some people
> dislike real-time communications because they can interrupt their work
> constantly.  I think what's important is not the signal-to-noise ratio,
> per se, but the relevant-to-irrelevant ratio.  To me, it makes no
> difference whether the traffic that I don't care about is spam/trolls or
> just discussion of another project.  So I'd support -dev being for
> coordination of core development and -project being for other things, so
> that people can read all of -dev easily and simply pay attention to only
> what they want to see on -project.  But I see no reason to moderate
> either -- #-dev is moderated because IRC is an easy medium to disrupt.
> It's a lot harder to wander on to a mailing list and start trolling, and
> it's easier to block.

Many people also have very little time to invest into gentoo. For those it is
not possible to be on IRC often, while for e-mail you can indeed save up
things until the end of the day and reply when it is convenient to you. As
such a -dev mailing list is much more useful than a #-dev IRC channel.
Ignoring the list is ignoring many developers who want to do work instead of
monitoring IRC.

Paul