On 7/19/07, Caleb Cushing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
another option could just be to enable the protocols in the ebuild by
default (or does that have to be done globally in profile?) and force users
to turn them off if they don't want them.

Yeah that would have to be done in the profile.  We could have
extended use flags added that are on by default in the profile.
Though I would think this to be overkill for this problem.

 On 7/19/07, Eric Polino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would it be possible to have all the protocols for net-im/pidgin
> turned on by default.  We often get people coming to #pidgin looking
> for help as to why they can't get MSN or some other protocol working.
> It most often is because they haven't enabled the given protocol USE
> flag.
>
> There is nothing gained in turning a protocol off.  At the very most
> you might save on 100K of memory, and a small amount of compile time
> (pidgin takes a good while to compile, so this is a small percentage).
> On the other hand, by having them off by default, people often lose a
> lot of time figuring out why they are missing some protocol.  Finding
> out which ones they want, setting up package.use...  The wanted gain
> is lost in research and setup time.  I would understand if they were
> huge aspects of the application that took up tons of HD space, tons of
> RAM and took a while to compile, but they aren't.
>
> I have two suggestions for solutions.  The protocol flags could be
> removed and would make them on all the time.  Or if the overzealous
> user insists on having some off, there could be negative flags such as
> nomsn, noaim, etc.
>
> I am busy with a GSoC project right now, but I can offer a diff for an
> ebuild that would provide this functionality once I find time to.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>
> --
> http://aluink.blogspot.com
>
> --
> "...indexable arrays, which may be thought of as functions whose
> domains are isomorphic to contiguous subsets of the integers."
> --Haskell 98 Library Report
> --

Caleb Cushing

--