Carsten Lohrke wrote:
Well, I should point out where I come from. There is no need to install a pure runtime dependency before the ebuild pulling it in. If pure runtime dependencies would be handled this way, there would be no need for PDEPEND at all. I consider the current way Portage handles pure runtime dependencies (causing the need for the artificial PDEPEND in the first place) as conceptually broken.

There are uses for it: