Mike Frysinger wrote:

>> > in other words, you have no real reason for punting this package ?
>>
>> well, for me gtk+-1.2 and no intentions of upgrading it to version 2
>> from upstream is a valid reason
>
> punting a package because you disagree with the implementation is not a
> valid reason.  nor is an upstream who hasnt touched a package in ages.
> there are plenty of packages in system which could be punted using this
> reasoning leaving Gentoo broken.

I tried to get some clarity on this wrt bug 140498 ("GTK+-1.2 needs to
die" ;-)) which seemed to contradict Mr Frysinger. Summary:
<dev> "Upstream no longer maintaining it is a fine reason, and commonly
given.. system, kernel, and toolchain are special." [maintainer's
discretion for most stuff iow]

aiui, if there are no bugs the package goes to maintainer-wanted so a user
can pick it up for sunrise.